Here is my latest video! Enjoy!!!by
Starting my vlog again! Enjoy!by
Here is my latest toy review! Enjoy!by
Instead of doing a review, I decided to share the three (narrated) videos I did on site:by
I went to see the play Evil Dead, The Musical at the Black Box Performing Arts Center in Teaneck, NJ on Halloween.
Here is my review:by
Here’s my new video review of the new Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again.
Here is my video pre-review of…
What is a pre-review, you ask? Well click on the video and find out!by
Here is my first video review:
Find out why in the above video!by
Writer’s note: I had worked two years at an adult store on Staten Island as an intimacy specialist (sales), and as an educator. I’m going to use this as a base line as I go through my list of dos and don’ts for a “sex shop”
The good people at Maxiwand asked my opinion on what I believe are the components that make up a good sex shop, so here’s a brief list:
- It shouldn’t be called a ‘sex’ shop or have XXX emblazoned on the front of the building. Adult stores should be a place that’s not depicted as seedy and dirty, which are unfortunately now synonymous with those names.
- It shouldn’t be connected to another type of business. Customers in an adult store should feel comfortable in the knowledge that all the other customers in the store are in there looking for the same things, and not for rolling papers, bait, or ammunition.
- Sales people should be knowledgeable and approachable. If the store is not theme-oriented, then the workers there should be in comfortable (in some cases I’ve seen business casual) clothes, and should have ‘hands-on’ knowledge of many of the products and practical knowledge of everything else.
- Stores should host educational programs. You’d be surprised how many people have completely wrong information about sex and sex toys. Having a comfortable and safe location to learn is always a plus, and now the students have a familiar place to shop!
- Variety is a necessity. As much as we’d like for every customer to buy the top-of-the-line silicone toy, sometimes they just don’t have the funds to do so. The purchase of a jelly toy is not the be-all, end-all, as long as the customer is informed of the downsides of jelly toys (and why they should save up and treat themselves one day to a high-end toy). So a good shop should have toys of all different varieties and price points.
- Following the variety theme, there should be different products offered: gag gifts, candies, books, videos, lingerie, candles, oils, lube (of course), wigs, shoes, “branded” toys (like the 50 shades crap), bdsm gear, apparatuses, pasties, games, the annoying bachelorette party stuff… you never know what customers are looking for – sometimes the customers don’t even know themselves – and a good store will be prepared to help in any scenario.
- There is no need for a store to be open until crazy hours of the night (this is more for the employee side of things). There is no purchase at 2am that couldn’t be made the next day. Even the shops in the city that never sleeps (not the ‘burbs, the actual city) close around 10pm.
- Stores should be welcoming to all genders/sexual orientations, and should have a staff that represents such. This is more of a situation for at-home party companies than brick-and-mortar ones, but still…
- These are pretty straight forward: the place should be well-lit, clean, organized, have a well-lit and maintained store front/parking lot, and shouldn’t have any “curatined-off” areas. Those areas up the sleaze quota by quite a few points.
- One last thing: there should be clean, well-maintained customer bathrooms. It may be some extra work/cost, but it’s rather disappointing for a customer to go to some place that’s a distance, and be told that the closest bathroom is in the Starbuck’s across the way (true story).
I haven’t traveled far to experience first hand the best shops around the USA, but by doing research and visiting local stores, I can recommend the following places:by
(Yes, I did go there with the semantics)
There are a pile of things on my naughty desk waiting to be talked about, so I just want to give you a little preview of what’s to cum…
FunToys sent me their new Black Jack, which so far may give my favorite toy – their G Vibe – a run for her money…
MaxiWand contacted me about running an article pertaining to adult stores. They’ve done their research in other countries and would like my input on what are the things to look for in a good shop. I’ve been doing my research on that one…
I have a handful of books lined up to review; some kinky, some not.
Yes, I still have the collection of pornos to review. Do you know how tough it is to EVER complete just one of those assignments?
I am doing research on a Master/slave scenario that I hope to have more information on soon.
And then, of course, there is the biggie: RKO Con ’16!
Packed with movies, shows, poker, donuts and tequila (the breakfast of champions), naughty bingo and a slew of panels, this has the potential to be an incredible event. The cast of RKO Army hosted the first RKOCon three years ago (you can see my review here: http://www.nthzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Issue-23.pdf), which makes me very eager to experience this one!
This is the schedule for the weekend. I’ll be up there on Thursday… and may get some sleep when I come home Sunday afternoon.
And then the reviews will begin!by